- Smoke alarms must be installed outside the sleeping area.
- If the home has more than one level a smoke alarm must be installed on each level.
- Install smoke alarms on the ceiling at least four inches from the nearest wall or high on a wall, four to 12 inches from the ceiling.
- The Office of State Fire Marshal recommends adding smoke alarms to each bedroom for additional protection.
- Single family dwellings are required to meet the applicable requirements of the State Building Code at the time of construction.
Also be sure to change the batteries in these devices and test every 30 days. You never know when your life may depend on it.